LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2010   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 51 corcraft will become famous soon enoughcorcraft will become famous soon enoughcorcraft will become famous soon enoughcorcraft will become famous soon enoughcorcraft will become famous soon enoughcorcraft will become famous soon enough

Question what is the real difference in pwr wire cca vs ofc vs copper weld

I am in the market for some 1/0 cable and before I started looking I thought that every wire was the same. What is the real difference? I want to use black so welding cable is ok with me but what is the difference in that vs ofc? Also, I was getting ready to click the "buy now" button on ebay for a roll of metra install bay but it is cca and I have read where 1/0 cca is no better than 4g ofc so it gets a little confusing on what to buy. I don't want to spend allot of money on pwr wire but I will be running 180- 200 amps of current so I need something that will be sufficient for that amount and not stiff as a board. Will the cca do? Will welding cable work as good as ofc? Or do I need ofc?
corcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #2

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 51 corcraft will become famous soon enoughcorcraft will become famous soon enoughcorcraft will become famous soon enoughcorcraft will become famous soon enoughcorcraft will become famous soon enoughcorcraft will become famous soon enough

Default Re: what is the real difference in pwr wire cca vs ofc vs copper weld

anyone?
Old 12-29-2010   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 73 Wheres The Butta will become famous soon enoughWheres The Butta will become famous soon enoughWheres The Butta will become famous soon enoughWheres The Butta will become famous soon enoughWheres The Butta will become famous soon enoughWheres The Butta will become famous soon enough

I'm curious to see what people think. The conventional wisdom that I'm familiar with is that 100% OFC is best, but probably unnecessary outside of competition setups.

I haven't heard the perfect stereo yet so I'll keep searching!
Wheres The Butta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #4

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 69 240sxguy will become famous soon enough240sxguy will become famous soon enough240sxguy will become famous soon enough240sxguy will become famous soon enough240sxguy will become famous soon enough240sxguy will become famous soon enough

Honestly dude, I am not so hung up on the OFC wire for power/ground. I understand the purpose of it but don't feel that the additional cost etc.. would be warranted.

Plus, welding wire is really easy to run due to its flexibility.
240sxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #5

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sxguy View Post
Honestly dude, I am not so hung up on the OFC wire for power/ground. I understand the purpose of it but don't feel that the additional cost etc.. would be warranted.

Plus, welding wire is really easy to run due to its flexibility.

So what is the purpose of it over welding cable?

Is CCA wire that bad? If the myth is true that it's about the same as 4g ofc then what is the pupose of it being made? Isn't 4g ofc cheaper and easier to run? Or is that just a myth?

I want the wire to be safe with 180amps and not cause a current drop and the cheapest that will do that for me. Is cca out of the question? A 50' roll of metra install bay cca is only $60. A 50' roll of knu is like $85 but it's still cca and then a 50' roll of weld wire is $100+.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 12-29-2010   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 86 mattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enough

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...wer-wires.html

try the search button... it works.
mattyjman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #7

DIYMA freshman

.......... well ya can't search ofc or cca and not many people refer to cca as copper clad aluminum....... and if I would have searched titles for copper clad aluminum then that post that you attached wouldn't have came up either because it just says copper clad. Therefor I made the executive decision to ask myself but thanks for the attachment!
Old 12-29-2010   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 86 mattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enough

sorry, i wouldn't normally do this.. but not searching and then making an excuse not to that's not even valid... meh... all i suggested is that the search feature works... look below.

mattyjman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #9

DIYMA freshman

I just read the attachment and allot of good info there, Thanks! Basicly you need to get 1 gauge bigger in cca so 1/0g cca = 2g ofc.

Now that we got an answer to that what makes ofc better than pure copper welding cable other than the pretty colors?
Old 12-29-2010   #10

DIYMA freshman

thanks but ya still cant search cca or ofc and nor would the proper name for each have worked by searching title like I said. You started that thread (which has some good info) so of coarse you knew how to search for it. Thanks!
Old 12-29-2010   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Steel manipulator

Rep Power: 106 cubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to cubdenno

Welding cable is usually OFC. otherwise, unless the welding wire is listed as not being copper, then it totally depends on what you are wanting to do. generally car audio power wire is more flexible then welding cable due to the jacket.

It is very easy to conflate cause and effect that are unrelated in audio design. In fact, the entire audiophile industry is based upon this ease of fallacy.
cubdenno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #12

DIYMA freshman

Ahhhh, thanks! That is exactly what I wanted to know.
Old 12-29-2010   #13

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 69 240sxguy will become famous soon enough240sxguy will become famous soon enough240sxguy will become famous soon enough240sxguy will become famous soon enough240sxguy will become famous soon enough240sxguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubdenno View Post
Welding cable is usually OFC. otherwise, unless the welding wire is listed as not being copper, then it totally depends on what you are wanting to do. generally car audio power wire is more flexible then welding cable due to the jacket.
I have found the opposite to be the case, so OP check out what you are buying.
240sxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Psychopath

Rep Power: 884 chad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubdenno View Post
You work in the steel industry and are still using welding cable from the 50's?

The shit with the inner Teflon jacket just rocks. II used to buy Harris Welco-Flex but the rural king house stuff is comparable.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #15

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 49 arw01 will become famous soon enougharw01 will become famous soon enougharw01 will become famous soon enougharw01 will become famous soon enougharw01 will become famous soon enougharw01 will become famous soon enough

When I built my shop, I had to go to 000 aluminum wire to be the equivalent of 0 gauge copper. Eventually CCA will also oxidize which can affect your current flow. I would go copper and only grimace once on the price.
arw01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 102 danssoslow will become famous soon enoughdanssoslow will become famous soon enoughdanssoslow will become famous soon enoughdanssoslow will become famous soon enoughdanssoslow will become famous soon enoughdanssoslow will become famous soon enough

One neg to aluminum, in houses and commercial applications, is its low elastic modulus. Over time, it will loose tension under a lug or set screw. This will not only cause problems that can be hard to trace, but potentially a fire hazard.

Impress your ears, not your peers!!!
danssoslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Psychopath

Rep Power: 884 chad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by arw01 View Post
When I built my shop, I had to go to 000 aluminum wire to be the equivalent of 0 gauge copper. Eventually CCA will also oxidize which can affect your current flow. I would go copper and only grimace once on the price.
Noalox FTMFW.

But I agree, I'm a fan of copper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Oliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enough

Welding & Battery Cable

Coarse Strand Battery Cable

Coarse Wire Cable usually used in Cars and other applications that do not require the cable to be Flexible.

Fine Strand Welding Cable

Fine Stand Welding Cable is usually used on Electric Vehicles and other Mobil Electric Projects.
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 155 sqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the rough

The fine stranded on the welders I've used, and that is all I have ever seen on a welder (MIG usually), is like hair and far more limp than car wire. I'd guess part of this is because the casing is pretty thin on welding cable, but I can assure you it is durable and fairly fire proof lol. I have alum for the main wire into my house, thankfully nothing else. It is showing a ground fault, so I have to turn off all my power and crank down the lugs. That usually means the ground (neutral on the 220) is floating some. I have some special electrical spray to put on the lugs, I might as well pull the meter and do all of them what a pita. The previous owner told me he had to tighten them before. It is coarse wire and rock hard, you would never want to install that crap in a car, I would never put coarse copper in a car either at least the stuff used for houses. You can make coat hooks from it.

There are very few things I'd use aluminum wire for and in a car is not one of them, due to daily movement of a car. My rule is buy the cheapest copper you can find that fits the use be it looks or performance, copper is copper in most cases. I used bulk lamp cord for home and car speakers for years for hidden things, that stuff is really tough and works great long as the size is right for the use.

Pioneer 880PRS~boston comps/alpine coax on Kappa 4 Z~back to Alpine mrd-m500 v12 on pyle 15s IB
sqshoestring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011   #20

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 43 dstaley will become famous soon enoughdstaley will become famous soon enoughdstaley will become famous soon enoughdstaley will become famous soon enoughdstaley will become famous soon enoughdstaley will become famous soon enough

The electrical conductivity of aluminum is 62% that of copper (google it if you don't believe me). Therefore, you will have to increase two AWG wire sizes to have the same resistance per foot of aluminum wire as you would have with a given size of copper wire (4 AWG vs. 2 AWG, etc).

I would just get the cable size you need in copper so as to avoid many of the corrosion and conductivity issues you have.

By the way, the conductivity of iron is far less than even that of aluminum- about 18% that of annealed copper.

If you are really running over 100A, it would be wise to run a separate large gage copper negative wire as your losses through the chassis (especially sheetmetal only as in modern unibody design cars) become significant. Even if you don't follow this advice, make sure the ground cable/strap between your engine block and whatever part of the chassis you are using as ground (frame if a full frame vehicle or body if a unibody) is up to the task, as are the fasteners on either end of the strap. A large sheetmetal screw is NOT sufficient to carry 100+ amperes from the engine block/alternator to the body where your amplifiers are connected!
dstaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011   #21

Banned

Rep Power: 0 MTU_Husky is a glorious beacon of lightMTU_Husky is a glorious beacon of lightMTU_Husky is a glorious beacon of lightMTU_Husky is a glorious beacon of lightMTU_Husky is a glorious beacon of lightMTU_Husky is a glorious beacon of lightMTU_Husky is a glorious beacon of lightMTU_Husky is a glorious beacon of lightMTU_Husky is a glorious beacon of lightMTU_Husky is a glorious beacon of lightMTU_Husky is a glorious beacon of light

Also, copper is copper for your purposes, OFC vs non OFC copper will do the same things. You have to get up into high frequencies, much higher than 20khz even for OFC to be needed.
MTU_Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Steel manipulator

Rep Power: 106 cubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to cubdenno

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstaley View Post
The electrical conductivity of aluminum is 62% that of copper (google it if you don't believe me). Therefore, you will have to increase two AWG wire sizes to have the same resistance per foot of aluminum wire as you would have with a given size of copper wire (4 AWG vs. 2 AWG, etc).

I would just get the cable size you need in copper so as to avoid many of the corrosion and conductivity issues you have.

By the way, the conductivity of iron is far less than even that of aluminum- about 18% that of annealed copper.

If you are really running over 100A, it would be wise to run a separate large gage copper negative wire as your losses through the chassis (especially sheetmetal only as in modern unibody design cars) become significant. Even if you don't follow this advice, make sure the ground cable/strap between your engine block and whatever part of the chassis you are using as ground (frame if a full frame vehicle or body if a unibody) is up to the task, as are the fasteners on either end of the strap. A large sheetmetal screw is NOT sufficient to carry 100+ amperes from the engine block/alternator to the body where your amplifiers are connected!
Very well stated. Glad you posted this. Most people do not get this.

It is very easy to conflate cause and effect that are unrelated in audio design. In fact, the entire audiophile industry is based upon this ease of fallacy.
cubdenno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011   #23
Upgrade Your Membership!

Meh.

Rep Power: 966 ChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond repute

That is what I did in my sister's vehicle by running 4 gauge CCA instead of 8 gauge copper. Her amplifier only had 40 amps of fusing, but I figured it was better to be safe than sorry just in case I decided to upgrade her to a pair of smaller amps later. Also, the local Best Buy wanted in the neighborhood of $160 for their Kicker 8 gauge wiring kit whereas KnuKonceptz had the 4 Gauge CCA kit for less than $30 shipped at the time.

Don't get me wrong, I do like Kicker Hyperflex and have a 4 gauge Hyperflex kit in my wife's vehicle. I just didn't think it was worth spending that kind of coin on a college student's system. Furthermore, she's my sister and I know that she would NOT pull the wire prior to getting rid of her vehicle.

2013 GTI Driver's Edition - Unitronic Stage 1+ ECU with Stage 2 DSG
ChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011   #24

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 217 Phreaxer has a reputation beyond reputePhreaxer has a reputation beyond reputePhreaxer has a reputation beyond reputePhreaxer has a reputation beyond reputePhreaxer has a reputation beyond reputePhreaxer has a reputation beyond reputePhreaxer has a reputation beyond reputePhreaxer has a reputation beyond reputePhreaxer has a reputation beyond reputePhreaxer has a reputation beyond reputePhreaxer has a reputation beyond repute

this thread has made me decide to pull out the wire I have had sitting in a container in my garage for the last 5 years waiting for me to get another install put together and see how it's held up. Some stinger 12ga speaker wire, and mainly welding cable (2 gauge).... If it's pic worthy, I'll post them.
Phreaxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011   #25

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 46 andrave is on a distinguished roadandrave is on a distinguished roadandrave is on a distinguished roadandrave is on a distinguished roadandrave is on a distinguished road

cca is lighter, cheaper, and ok for lots of people. I don't like it though. I'd compare it to using boss audio camps. 90% of the public wouldn't ever know. But I know they suck, so I just can't.
andrave is offline   Reply With Quote